After thinking this post over in my head before writing it, it’s clear to me I need to stop getting on the line while still in bed lest I be exposed to so much great news so early in my day. I haven’t even brushed my teeth!
While the world is rocket attacking each other, there are three things we can be sure Americans care about: Our food. Our guns and bibles. Our right to complain and sue for hobby.
Here’s the latest on the above re: Apple:
Apple Faces Class-Action Lawsuit In California Over Alleged Labor Violations Affecting 20K Employees
Let me sum this up into a Twitter-sized bite for you: Former Apple employees suing bc they didn’t get lunch in time and their paychecks were 2-days late.
<Start conversation in my head>
This seems a little over-the-top. Five hours before your first break? And your paycheck was two days late after you were fired?
Well, flip. That is a serious problem.
I see your melodramatic point of view and I raise you some (comparatively dramatic but also very true) realities (for which I feel no need to provide sourced information since this is merely an exchange of complaints between the two of us. If you would like to know more, please refer to the world around you):
- There are children all over the world working in factories to make your jeans
- Walmart stopped caring about worker and child rights a long time ago
- 10-year-old girls sold their bodies during the 2014 FIFA World Cup at the fair and dignifying price of 50 cents
- There are veterans who fight for this country you love (who wave and bleed the same flag you have on your bikini) who are homeless, living on the streets, suffering from mental illness. You walked by one and drove by another yesterday either dismissing their plight because they “probably don’t have a job”, are “probably lazy”, and “it’s not your problem”.
- Millions (that’s like a lot more than thousands) of Americans are seriously worried about finding food to feed their families tonight.
- Your grandma is one of them.
- Your first-grade teacher is another.
- So are your neighbors.
- Your 6th grade son, or little sister will be exposed to alcohol this year.
- Moms will kiss their newborn babies goodbye tonight because inadequate nutrition means they weren’t able to survive their first several weeks of life.
Whatever this info does for you… great. It should do something. If you’re indifferent, I’m pretty concerned for your soul because apathy has done not a single generation or person any good in this world.
To borrow from some popular wisdom in our culture: I got 99 problems but, you know what?, fleeing my home at age three with one less arm is not one of them.
<End: Inner monologue>
My mom always said I am a load of work. True that.