I love Christmas time. I love it for it’s Starbucks and its music and its decorations. I love the days off work and the time with family, especially this year. I love that Christmas is about joy and peace. I love the spices and the scarves. I love the wreaths and the Pinterest Boards. Christmas has all of my favourite things.
For love of the holidays, and because it is the perfect season to add to my count of one thousand gifts, these are a few of my favourite things…
* * *
From the beginning: Starting today… on my way to 1000 gifts, Counting again (#27-#72) –Breaking past the first 100… (#101-#132) – The Zumba booty pump, weddings and strengths finder… (#133-#195)… – POG, pancakes and beautiful sunsets… (#196-#244, Maui edition), A chicken stir fry Thanksgiving (#245-#274), New Zealand skies, rollerbladers, and Skype dates (#275-#321), and OJ, cake and anniversaries (#322-#388).
389. Surprise visits home.
390. The look on mum’s face.
391. Dad’s “so glad to see you” smile.
392-394. Happy screams and hugs and tears from sisters and brothers.
395. Back together. It is a little amazing how slow the days go by when you miss people in your life. And a lot of amazing how fast they happen when you’re back together.
396. Being home… feels a little like we never left, which is all around comforting. The Olive Garden is still here. You can count on it to rain six and half days of the week. The coldness outside still hurts your skin when you walk out. But it’s home, and home is everything.
397. Mom. Crying together when we’re sad and when we’re happy.
398. Stop over visits with Bec and the boys.
399. The smell of coffee in the morning.
400. Sitting and talking with my sister in law.
401. When a 15-minute stop over turns into a three-hour play date.
402. Grown up nephews. The last time I saw Jax he was just a five months old — couldn’t yet talk or walk. Now he does both.
403. And his smile… oh, his smile is the sweetest thing.
404. A good haircut. My first haircut experience in the land down under was unfortunate and I’ve only suffered one more of those in the last 11 months. Basically, I was in need of a good haircut. So I got one of those on our first full day home, too.
405. And I love the man who kept me company under the colour heater.
406. Red cup photos. After the haircut we had to get ourselves some Starbucks. It’s not Christmas without a peppermint mocha in a red cup.
407. A great day. We topped off the day with a stop at Nordstrom, picked mom up, and I made dinner for everyone — a new Pinterest recipe: lasagna rolls and parmesan baked chicken (#405-#408).
408. The Christmas tree.
409. A little Christmas wonder.
410. Gingerbread house making.
411. Decoration eating.
412. Making MILK Book memories.
413. Family Christmas.
414. Hot buttered rum.
415. Tacos for Christmas dinner.
416. White elephant.
417. Mom and Becky.
418. Christmas Eve candlelight service.
419. “Joy to the world”.
420. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to hold over a nephew during church.
421. This family.
422. Our family.
433. New Christmas Eve pajamas.
434. Christmas morning.
436. New Nikes.
437. And new Nixons.
438. A wonderfully amazing husband (because I can’t get enough of him).
439. Biscuits and gravy breakfast.
440. Mexican hashbrowns.
441. “I’ve been wanting this” and “I’m so happy Santa made this for me” from Ryder
442. Spending the day testing and trying out your new presents.
443. Turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, cranberry sauce Christmas dinner.
444-445. Sweet homecomings and late sleep-in days
446-447. Nordstrom half-yearly and red cup lattes
448-449. Candlelight service and carols we sing.
These are a few of my favourite things…
Merry Christmas from Colin and I… and from Raphael.